Monday, January 18, 2016

Finding My Passion(s)

It's the eve of going back to what I love to do-my career, a job that pays the bills at the #1 company to work for in the world.  I was fortunate to take a six (6) month break as I have been burning and churning for 23+ years in the corporate world and needed a time out.

The time out has been an incredible learning experience, I will share often in this blog.  One of the outcomes of my time off was exploring NEW things.  My job was always my #1 priority and, frankly, when people have asked me over the years, "what are your hobbies?" I never had a great answer.  In fact, I didn't have an answer that was more original than "dining out, travel, blah blah blah."  I'm not that boring, am I?  Keeping up with my friendships and family relationships-I mean I even collect stationary for that perfect snail mail moment-was where I spent most of my time if I wasn't at my day job.

But....in my time off....I really threw myself into uncomfortable, yet fun, projects.  I prepared meals, I water painted, I spray painted MANY articles inside and outside my home, I read, I walked, I took pictures, I spent time with children, I napped, I called friends on the telephone (!), I had visitors from all over the country and I decorated my new beach home.   WOW.  I had so much fun doing it.  I had done my NYC apartment several years ago and felt good about it but this was a house with more rooms....could I do it?  From picking out paint colors to backsplashes, I did it all.  It was fun, I was passionate about it....and still am.  But I don't have any more rooms to work on so I began to think...how can I incorporate this passion into my life when I go back to work?

I decided to enroll in a beginners online class for Interior Design.  I've been complimented before with things like "you have a good eye"  or "your home is so cozy" but it is just what makes me happy, could I do it for others?  Could I apply my passion to a home that isn't my style and/or taste?  I'd never know unless I went for it!

So....I am embarking on a new journey.  I am excited to learn.  I've always been a student of life.  I am curious and excited!   Design Trends, Color Theory, Concepts of Scale and Proportion, Furniture Styles, Architectural History, Lighting and Fabrics.

I've started another instagram account @mohawkbeach and this is my first-of what I hope-many blog posts.  I'd love for you to follow along.  I hope I can impart some of my learnings to help make your home more YOU and I will continue to look to YOU for any inspiration and/or motivation.

I will certainly keep my day job.  Like I said, I love it and can't wait until tomorrow to see my Google Family.  I think this balance will make me even better at what I do day to day.

Thanks for reading, here we go.....

X.

Jen

6 comments:

  1. Good for you Jen. I'm excited and happy for you. I've been working through similar thoughts and I'm embarking on my own very similar journey this year. All the best back at the office and for your new adventure! Kate xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, Kate! You've always had the itch. Go scratch it!!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Jen! I'm so excited for you that you are pursuing your passion. Plus it means we can still meet at Home Goods ;)

    ReplyDelete